Dental Hygienist: SouthfieldJob Summary: Promotes dental health by completing dental prophylaxis/periodontal treatment, provide oral cancer screening and radiographic studies, charting conditions of decay and disease, and performing procedures in compliance with the dental practice act.
Job Department: Division 4; Production
Reports To: Office Manager
- Ability to effectively utilize dental technology
- Proficient in dental health maintenance and infection control
- Ability to multi-task
- Knowledge of modern office practices and procedures
- Ability to accurately utilize electronic dental record and practice management software
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Ability to maintain attention to detail
- An independent worker; ability to work with limited supervision
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment
- Ability to maintain a cooperative working relationship with other staff members
- Above average customer service skills; ability to tactfully handle difficult customer service situations; ability to deal courteously and effectively with a variety of people
- Equipment, Machinery, Tools and Vehicles Used: General office and dental equipment; computers
- Microsoft Office: Word, Excel, and Dentech Scheduling software
- Prepares treatment room for patient by adhering to prescribed procedures and protocols.
- Prepares patient for dental hygiene treatment by welcoming, soothing, seating, and draping patient.
- Provides information to patients by answering questions and requests.
- Maintains instrumentation for dental hygiene treatment by sharpening, sterilizing, and selecting instruments.
- Selects materials and equipment for dental hygiene visit by evaluating patient's oral health.
- Completes dental prophylaxis/periodontal by cleaning deposits and stains from teeth and from beneath gum margins.
- Detects disease by completing oral cancer screening; feeling and visually examining gums; using probes to locate periodontal disease and to assess levels of recession; exposing and developing radiographic studies.
- Arrests dental decay by applying fluorides and other cavity- preventing agents.
- Helps dentist manage dental and medical emergencies by maintaining CPR certification, emergency drugs and oxygen supply, and directory of emergency numbers.
- Educates patients by giving oral hygiene and plaque control instructions and postoperative instructions; providing reminders of time of next dental hygiene visit.
- Documents dental hygiene services by recording vital signs and medical and dental histories; charting in patient records.
- Maintains patient confidence and protects operations by keeping information confidential.
- Maintains safe and clean working environment by complying with procedures, rules, and regulations.
- Protects patients and employees by adhering to infection-control policies and protocols.
- Educates patient on potential dental treatment that may be needed by doctor.
- Ensures operation of dental equipment by completing preventive maintenance requirements; following manufacturer's instructions; troubleshooting malfunctions; calling for repairs; maintaining equipment inventories; evaluating new equipment and techniques.
- Maintains dental supplies inventory by checking stock to determine inventory level; anticipating needed supplies; placing and expediting orders for supplies; verifying receipt of supplies.
- Conserves dental resources by using equipment and supplies as needed to accomplish job results.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- Attends and contributes to daily huddle and staff meetings.
- Encourages patient referrals.
- Adheres to office protocol, policies, and procedures.
- Maintains a safe work environment and operates within OSHA/MIOSHA guidelines;
- Other duties as assigned.