One of the most common misconceptions about dental implants is that they hurt. This fear is so grave that, like many other dental procedures, it causes some patients to avoid getting implants despite the considerable benefits they provide.
While it’s natural to be anxious about any procedure, the Southfield dentists at Bright Side Dental want to assure you that dental implants do not hurt. Although some patients report mild discomfort after the surgery, most agree that the procedure itself is pain-free and that they wish they hadn’t put it off so long!
Dental implant surgery isn’t traditional in the sense that the entire procedure takes place at once. In fact, the process can take several months to complete. But don’t worry — most of this time is spent healing and making sure everything is going as planned.
Dental implant surgery is usually performed in the phases highlighted below. For more information, and to see if implants are right for you, contact our Southfield dental implants dentists.
- The damaged tooth is removed.
- An incision is made in the gum and the implant is placed into the jawbone using a screw. This allows the implant to replace the root of the original tooth, thus helping the implant simulate the feeling and function of a natural tooth.
- You go through a healing process that typically lasts 3-6 months. This time allows the jawbone to form around the implant. You may have regular check-ins with your dentist during this time to make sure everything is healing properly.
- If necessary, a temporary crown is placed to make eating and drinking easier.
- After you have healed the abutment is placed. This is an extension of the implant metal post, and serves as the base for the new tooth.
- After the soft issue is healed, your dentist makes molds of your teeth and jawbone and places your replacement tooth.
If you’re considering dental implants, we invite you to visit our Southfield dentist office for a zero-pressure, zero-cost consultation.
Dental implants offer a wide range of advantages, from improved eating and speaking ability to a more confident smile. They are also extremely durable (able to last a lifetime) and in most cases don’t require extra visits to the dentist.
The cost of dental implants varies based on a few different factors that you can discuss with your dentist. No matter the cost, Bright Side Dental offers financing options that work for most budgets, as well as coupons that work like cash to lower the cost of the procedure.
Request your free consultation now and learn how dental implants can bring the shine back to your gorgeous smile!