There are a few unfortunate misconceptions that exist within the realm of dentistry and the mouth, and one of these surrounds braces. It goes something like this: “Braces are only for children.”
At Bright Side Dental & Orthodontics, we’re happy to offer several straightening solutions for teeth, including both braces and Invisalign products for those in need – including, notably, many adults. While braces are indeed used most commonly on children and those under the age of 18, they are still often also helpful for those above this age range. How often are braces or similar products utilized for adults, and why might they be good for you? Here are some basics, plus the options at your disposal if you want to go this route.
Adult Braces Statistics
According to the American Association of Orthodontists, nearly 2 million people in North America over the age of 18 wear braces or similar straightening devices. It’s a simple reality that there is no set age for these products – the teeth can move around in the mouth at any age and for a variety of reasons, and braces can help correct these changes when they take place.
In other cases, braces will be used on adults who should have had them as kids, but didn’t. This often leads to bite misalignment that becomes even worse over time, but braces will help move everything back into the proper locations.
Reasons for Adult Braces
Here are some of the specific reasons you might consider braces if you’re an adult:
- Oral health issues: If you have issues like crowded or poorly aligned teeth, these raise the risk of gum disease, tooth decay, major issues like gum or bone loss, TMJ disorders, and more. Many seek braces to prevent them.
- Other health issues: In some cases, oral health issues also lead to headaches, earaches or problems with digestion, which braces help avoid.
- Improved smile: Braces also make the smile look better, plus they offer wearers the confidence that their teeth are properly aligned in the mouth.
Less Noticeable Options
If you’re an adult who might need braces, but you’re worried about the unsightly metal brackets you became familiar with as a kid, don’t fret. There are two less noticeable options available to you:
- Invisalign: Invisalign is a brand name of clear aligners, which are similar to traditional braces, but different in some ways. These aligners gently put pressure on the teeth to move them around over time. They’re completely invisible, making them ideal for adults who are in social situations often.
- Clear braces: There are also braces made from ceramic brackets that are tooth-colored, plus have tooth-colored wires.
For more on braces for adults, or to learn about any of our family dental services, speak to the staff at Bright Side Dental & Orthodontics today.