Promotes dental health by completing dental prophylaxis/periodontal treatment; providing oral cancer screening and radiographic studies; charting conditions of decay and disease; performing procedures in compliance with the dental practice act.
Essential Function(s) of the Position:
The duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the level and/or class of this position.
- Prepares treatment room for patient by adhering to prescribed procedures and protocols.
- Prepares patient for dental hygiene treatment by welcoming, soothing, seating, and draping patient.
- Provides information to patients by answering questions and requests.
- Maintains instrumentation for dental hygiene treatment by sharpening, sterilizing, and selecting instruments.
- Selects materials and equipment for dental hygiene visit by evaluating patient’s oral health.
- Completes dental prophylaxis/periodontal by cleaning deposits and stains from teeth and from beneath gum margins.
- Detects disease by completing oral cancer screening; feeling and visually examining gums; using probes to locate periodontal disease and to assess levels of recession; exposing and developing radiographic studies.
- Arrests dental decay by applying fluorides and other cavity- preventing agents.
- Helps dentist manage dental and medical emergencies by maintaining CPR certification, emergency drugs and oxygen supply, and directory of emergency numbers.
- Educates patients by giving oral hygiene and plaque control instructions and postoperative instructions; providing reminders of time of next dental hygiene visit.
- Documents dental hygiene services by recording vital signs and medical and dental histories; charting in patient records.
- Maintains patient confidence and protects operations by keeping information confidential.
- Maintains safe and clean working environment by complying with procedures, rules, and regulations.
- Protects patients and employees by adhering to infection-control policies and protocols.
- Educates patient on potential dental treatment that may be needed by doctor.
Essential Function(s) of the Position, Continued:
- Ensures operation of dental equipment by completing preventive maintenance requirements; following manufacturer’s instructions; troubleshooting malfunctions; calling for repairs; maintaining equipment inventories; evaluating new equipment and techniques.
- Maintains dental supplies inventory by checking stock to determine inventory level; anticipating needed supplies; placing and expediting orders for supplies; verifying receipt of supplies.
- Conserves dental resources by using equipment and supplies as needed to accomplish job results.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- Attends and contributes to daily huddle and staff meetings.
- Encourages patient referrals.
- Adheres to office protocol, policies, and procedures.
- Maintains a safe work environment and operates within OSHA/MIOSHA guidelines;
- Other duties as assigned.
Associate degree in Dental Hygiene
One to two years of experience in dental hygiene
Working knowledge of Dentech software preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Ability to effectively utilize dental technology
Proficient in dental health maintenance and infection control
Ability to multi-task
Knowledge of modern office practices and procedures
Ability to accurately utilize electronic dental record and practice management software
Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
Ability to maintain attention to detail
An independent worker; ability to work with limited supervision
Ability to work effectively in a team environment
Ability to maintain a cooperative working relationship with other staff members
Above average customer service skills; ability to tactfully handle difficult customer service situations; ability to deal courteously and effectively with a variety of people
Equipment, Machinery, Tools and Vehicles Used:
General office and dental equipment; computers
Microsoft Office: Word, Excel, and Dentech Scheduling software
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be me by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, reach with hands and arms; stand; talk and hear; walk; sit, stoop, and lift or move up to ten (10) pounds.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral visions, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this position, employees are regularly required to use written and oral communication skills; read and interpret data, information and documents, analyze and solve problems, use math and mathematical reasoning; observe and interpret situations; learn and apply new information or new skills; work under deadlines and constant interruptions; interact with staff and other organizations; and occasionally deal with dissatisfied or quarrelsome individuals.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
Employees work under typical office conditions where the noise level is moderately quiet. The employee may be occasionally exposed to dust or to dusty environments (to the extent of that which may be found on stored files).
Office Manager. In the Office Manager’s absence, the position reports to the dentist on duty.